Remembering Special Agent's No Longer With Us

CIDAA Forum: Guestbook (Public): Remembering Special Agent's No Longer With Us
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joseph.w.vaught (Unregistered Guest) on Thursday, October 11, 2018 - 07:08 pm:  Edit

I worked for Jack Bennett in RVN in early 1970. He was a great chief and friend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lawrence H. Drayton (Larry_drayton) on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 07:43 am:  Edit

I met Jack the first time when I reported in from Vietnam to HQ CIDC in Dec 1972. We were both in PSD. Did several trips with him and the likes of Jim Nelson, Joe Pasalaqua (sp?) and others. When not traveling, we often socialized in the DC area. Good guy! Died way too young.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard B. Greaves (Dick_greaves) on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 12:17 am:  Edit

Excellent research, Bob. As I recall, Jack arrived from Korea to the 40th at Fort Dix in the early '60s, and Soo followed soon after. They later had a baby at Fort Dix, who died there not long after. I last saw Soo, who worked for the PX at the small DLA installation in Alexandria, VA, sometime between 1969 and 1972, while I was assigned to OSD. Jack was another fine young man, gone too soon.
Warm regards...Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Busby (Bob_busby) on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 01:29 pm:  Edit

Darrell Jack Bennett
While trying to find some information on folks in U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Division Command (CID) who served with me and are no longer with us I once again learned finding information about those who are no longer with us is never easy even when you have basic information on the person you are looking for.
My search was for information on the life and times of my CID Operations Officer at Fort Ord, CA - Chief Warrant Officer (CWO) Darrell Jack Bennett known to his friends as Jack Bennett.
Most of the time when I am researching folks (I am a family historian) who are no longer with us I look for the official listing of their passing, but in my search for CWO Bennett I was not able to find any information on his death.
I reached out to several retired CID folks who served with CWO Bennett to get as much information as possible to try and find out more about the life and times of our CID Friend Jack Bennett.
I was given Jack’s social security (SS) number (SSN) by one of his friends and that gave me his date of birth (23 March 1936) and his date of death (August 1, 1979) and that he was officially listed as Jackie Bennett with no middle name but was also listed as Darrell Jack Bennett. No information was provided on why he had two name listings for his SSN.
With the information obtained from SS I was able to work my family historian magic and determine Jackie Bennett was born to Arthur W. Bennett and Geneva C. Scott in Littleton Maine.
Official files showed Darrell Jack Bennett joined the U.S. Army on 27 June 1966 and retired from the U.S. Army on 30 June 1979.
When CWO Bennett was my Operations Officer at Ord he was single and living in quarters provided by the CID for bachelor Special Agents (SAs) located adjacent to the CID office. I know that bit of information since I was one of those SAs living in those bachelor quarters.
During my search for answers I was able to determine CWO Bennett was married to Soo O Chung in 1962 and divorced from her in 1975.
Information obtained from Jack’s friends determined after he retired from CID in 1979 he moved to Las Vegas, Nevada to start working for the State of Nevada Gaming Commission but sadly before Jack started work he died on August 1, 1979 at the age of 43 (just over a month after he retired from CID) from a sudden heart attack.
With the information obtained I should have found an obituary for CWO Bennett but so far no such luck.
If you knew Jack lets here about some of his assignments and all those interesting things SAs do while serving with the CID. I bet many of us did not know Jack worked on the McDonald murder investigation at Fort Bragg.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles A. McNichols (Samcn0696) on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 05:11 pm:  Edit

RFA: I have requested that "Jack" be remembered in the Retired Military Police Officers Association magazine; however, no death obit/information can be located [to include the CIDAA historical records -- thanks Brother Cox for checking] pertaining to his death. Brother Busby believes that after "Jack" retired he moved to Las Vagas, NV where/when he soon passed away [Aug 1979????]. A Google search has disclosed no information. Thanks in advance for any information you might be able to provide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arthur T Weaver (Unregistered Guest) on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 08:02 am:  Edit

I was accepted into USACIDC and was working at the Fort Ord Office waiting for my basic class. I was assigned to front desk duty to answer the phones and greet the quests as they entered the office. Jack would come to work in the morning and I would say " good morning Chief" and he would just growl at me. After attending basic and assigned to Ft Ord, I entered the operations office to drop off a report. Jack walked up to me and said" pull my finger". I then knew I was accepted. Good man to work for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John R. Mays (John_mays) on Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 09:04 pm:  Edit

Dick, I worked with Jack at Ft Ord before I was pulled up to 6th Rgn HQ. When Dick Condon left Ft Ord to Retire, I took his place and worked along side of Jack. Most thought Jack was a Grumpy person, not at all, he was a great guy to work with. Each time I think of him I smile. Hope all is well, John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles A. McNichols (Samcn0696) on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 04:31 pm:  Edit

I had the pleasure of working for Jack at Camp Humphreys during my 1975-76 tour there. Upon his PCS, I replaced him as Ops Off until the arrival of Bill Dortch and my PCS. He was a great supervisor to work for and was an overall great agent/person. It's surely too bad that he didn't get to enjoy his retirement as he passed about a month or so following his retirement. RIP, Sir!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard B. Greaves (Dick_greaves) on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 12:37 pm:  Edit

I was with the 40th CID at Ft Dix '61-'64, when Jack came in from a tour in Korea. Definitely a good man, great story teller, and an excellent Agent. R.I.P.
Warm regards to all.....Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul J Esposito (Pjespo) on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 07:58 am:  Edit

Knew Jack in Korea. He was ops at Camp Humphries and I was in Seoul. Great guy. Died way to young.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Busby (Bob_busby) on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 12:44 pm:  Edit

Remembering Special Agent's No Longer With Us is a way of remembering and not for getting our U.S. Army CID past. Who remembers CW4 Ret Darrel J. "jack" Bennett (RIP) at Ft Ord, CA.

In the late 1970s CW4 Bennett was my operations officer - Those were the days of CID in the Wild Wild West.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: