Germany trip

CIDAA Forum: Guestbook (Public): Germany trip
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John W. Lanting, Sr (Jwlanting) on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 10:51 pm:  Edit

No Bill it was in Klien. I would recommend it to anyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Ivory (Bill_ivory) on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 06:51 pm:  Edit

John,
Was the Gasthaus you stayed at in Farchant??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John W. Lanting, Sr (Jwlanting) on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 01:04 am:  Edit

My wife Penny and I were in london,Holland, germany for 3 weeks in April for our 40th wedding aniv. We spent one day with Chuck West and his wife. This was Pennys first time in Europe. We loved north Holland and Garmish. We stayed at a guest house about 10k from Garmish. It was 400 years old. They treated us great. Have a good summer and hope to see a lot of you in Texas in Oct.

John Lanting
Evans, GA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Ivory (Bill_ivory) on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 03:32 pm:  Edit

There is something I forgot to mention, There is a Deutches Bahn travel office set up in the train station at the Frankfurt airport where you can get all your tickets . If you rent, look also at the SIXT rental company for good rates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Ivory (Bill_ivory) on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 03:29 pm:  Edit

Having just recently returned from a tour in Germany, let me agree with some of the other postings here, and add something that may help. The train systenm is great in Germany and you can get a package ticket for your entire trip and stop anywhere along the way. Munich is always great, as well as Bamberg and Nuernberg. Bertchtesgaden is wide open now with very few Americans there. The GermanHotels are affordable. Garmisch is alway a treat, but stay away from the Edelwiess Hotel (AFRC) The food, as indicated below, really sucks. There is a best western hotel, The Obermuehle, not far from the old Patton Hotel which is affordable, and has a all inclusive deal with GREAT food. There is a small town just beyond the Golf Course (Farchant)that has some nice hotels with rooms at about $40 to 50 Euros nightly and great food. Enjoy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Upton (Rupton) on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 10:11 am:  Edit

Two years ago, my wife, daughter and I went to Germany for two weeks. We drove all over Germany (Frankfurt, Munich, Garmish and Berlin).
Get a rental car with the navigational system in it. We simply entered the address where we were going and followed the directions. It made traveling so easy. We had addresses for all the sights we wanted to see and drove directly to them. I recommend staying in Edelweiss (Military Lodge and Resort). It is a beautiful Resort. The day trips are great. You can check it out at www.edelweisslodgeand resort.com.
A lot has changed in Germany. A lot of the military has left and it is difficult to find the various installations if you don't have an address. A lot of the on-post lodging was substandard. We found-out that the German Hotels were just as affordable and gave you a nice German Breakfast in the morning. We had a great time and are planning on going back next year. We were not impressed with Frankfurt. It was very dirty. Munich and southern Germany was beautiful. Berlin was okay. The German people were very cordial and spoke English when we would try to speak to them in German. We loved Germany and had a great time. The food in Munich and Garmish was fantastic. Have a safe and wonderful trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Holder (Unregistered Guest) on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 07:21 pm:  Edit

My wife and I went to Germany two summers ago and stayed in the military hotel in Garmish. I have to agree with Mr. Blake's posting. We stayed at the recreation center housing for about a week, but tried to eat most of our meals in the local area. That is one reason we wanted to go to Germany. Not to eat American food. We also traveled by train and also rented a car to drive to Italy. Hertez rental car in Garmish had a good deal and our USAA insurance was good in Germany. We got an International drivers license before going over. It was $10.00 at our local AAA club. The good thing about the Garmish center is the tours that they sponsor. It is a good way to see a lot and they are really organized.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William F. Blake (Billblake) on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 04:11 pm:  Edit

My wife and I spent two weeks in Germany last year and highly recommend the train system as faster and cheaper than renting a car for an extended period of time. We spent time in Berlin, Munich, Nordlingen and Garmish. We rented cars on a short time basis when we wanted to see the local area. The Garmisch recreation center has OK housing but the food leaves a lot to be desired, but that's what the gasthaus is for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne H. Franklin (Wfrank56) on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 03:53 pm:  Edit

My wife and I wb arriving in Frankfurt, Germany on 17 Oct and leaving 23 Oct - six days. Last time I was there was 1980 for 10 months, no money, didn't see a thing. Looking for suggestions on how others might spend six days (rent a car, take trains, stay in Frankfurt, hit the mil bases, etc). I am open to any and all suggestions. We want to enjoy the culture. Thanking all in advance.

Wayne H. Franklin
Portland, Maine

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: