Favorite assignment

CIDAA Forum: Guestbook (Public): Favorite assignment
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Bass (Unregistered Guest) on Monday, October 19, 2009 - 01:33 pm:  Edit

Richard B. Greaves (Dick_greaves)
Hello Mr Greaves This is Michael Bass. It has been a long time. I am now retired from the Army and work for the Joint Personnel Recovery Agency as part of JFCOM at Fort Belvoir, VA. It's great to read your and my Dad's posts from many years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Williams (Unregistered Guest) on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 02:01 pm:  Edit

My best CID assignment was Camp Casey, Korea with Dave Glenn, Chief Jones, Archie Moss, LTC Chester, Dave Parry. It went by so quick. Best ever assignment was when the Army was phasing out in Okinawa and I was assigned to the Torii Station Swimming Pool as the NCOIC the last 4 months of my duty there. WOW.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Yarnall (Yarnallpi) on Monday, September 21, 2009 - 02:02 pm:  Edit

Mr. Boyd, you are correct about "Carl". He was still married with all those kids at Ft. Monmouth but Beth was in and out of his life before they were divorced. When he was Rif'd, he really took it hard. I was in Panama in the mid 80s and stayed in touch with Carl while he was at Command. When we both retired we kept in touch until his death. Carl was working for a company that (I think)recovered stolen vehicles. His team examined the rental truck that was used in the first Twin Tower bombing and traced it back to the terrorists responsible. He told me they ID'd the numbers taken off the rear axle. He was a good friend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick V. Garland (Pgarland6) on Monday, September 21, 2009 - 09:26 am:  Edit

Like many who posted earlier, I had several good assignments and one or two not so great! In Regensburg, Germany (1959-60) I started with CID as MPI. It was there that I first became aware of the professionals of CID. Sandy Fields was my mentor, but I also worked with Charlie Kimmig (Landshut), Virgil Perry, Calvin Brady, Don Pressom and Sam Branham (Munich). At West Point I went to CID School (1963), and worked with Mervin Cumpson and one of the Phillips twins (Billy I believe). Korea was next, being assigned to the 2nd CID in Seoul. Too many guys there to remember them all. Louis Clark was my prime partner, and for awhile I was with the 8th Army Narcotics Squad. In 1965, I was at Ft Campbell, probably my busiest assignment, with Maurice Parker, Ray Boggs, Art Gehrig, Chuck Alsip, Al Sims, Fred Dunford, and many many more. Then in 1967 I went to train at USACIL and remained in the lab until retiring from the European Lab in 1974. I would have stayed longer but the lab commander was a total jerk (I shouldn't use the more descriptive adjective!).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Branyon Boyd (Jim_boyd) on Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 10:01 pm:  Edit

Re the 8 Sep post of Walt YARNALL, concerning his assignment at Monmouth with various personnel including "Carl" Carlson: I bet that was the same 'CARLSON' who served with me at Ft Rucker, during the early to mid '80's timeframe. He was my CIS, as a result of having been "riffed" from the Warrant Ranks. His wife had either died or divorced him, leaving him with three or four sons to raise as a single parent on an enlisted man's wages. "Carl" was a very dedicated Special Agent, always willing to go that extra mile or more, but never hesitating to let you know where he stood on any contraversial matter. If I remember correctly, I was instrumental in helping him get promoted to E-8 with an assignment somewhere in the headshed.
After he retired, my wife and I tried to visit him at his home in the NE US. After we arrived in the area, we learned by phone that he was "on the road" relative to his new employment position, and could not make our scheduled rendezvous. Shortly thereafter, I learned that he had expired as a result of an aneurysm. I was very saddened to hear that. I had just lost a good friend, and the world lost a GREAT person.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louis Patalano III (Louispatalanoiii) on Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 01:59 pm:  Edit

I had over twenty years with CID at Fort Bragg, but that ended 31 Aug 09 with my second CID retirement, two active duty and one as civilian. But four tours in Seoul Korea (7 years), three tours at Ft Hamilton or Ft Dix (Ops in Charge of Hamilton), which covers my 40 years (except 30 months in Germany which was the worst for me. Good to see some old friends Posting to this topic. So those three would be my favorite. Have not visited this site in a long time but still active CIDAA member even if I don't remember my password.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Yarnall (Yarnallpi) on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 02:25 pm:  Edit

Hey, Bill, we did have a nice lounge at Ft Monmouth. That was my first assignment (74-77) where Al Vallone was my first SAC. He had the lounge built about 1975 as our secretary (Mrs. McKee) was good friends with the Facility Engineers. There was a reason they called Ft Monmouth the County Club of the Army. We had good agents there, "Carl" Carlton and Jerry Walton who have both passed now. Also, W. "Joe" Chappell, Frank Green and Reid Morrell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Weeden Rockwell Nichols (Weeden_nichols) on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 11:47 am:  Edit

USAMPS was by far my best assignment. Fort Polk was not. Fort Leavenworth could have been the best, except that we were at one-third strength during my whole time there. There was also an organizational awkwardness, in that I was operations officer and/or acting commander when there was a warrant far senior to me also present in the unit. (It wasn't that he was hard to get along with.) Korea could have been good if I could have taken my family. Vietnam wasn't too bad -- a great relief from Fort Polk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Billy H. Bass (Bill_bass) on Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 01:31 pm:  Edit

You people really know how to stir up memories in an old man. I never had a bad assignment but some were more memorabe than others. Started as a "probie" in the old Det E, 12th MP Gp in Brooklyn. Had some great mentors in how to work and play (Lyle Smith, Joe Podraza and Harold Archambault). They took me to the Ft Hamilton "O" Club where my former boss, a major who tried to block my assignment to CID because she lost her NCOIC, complained because I was a SSG. Then to DaNang where Jim Thames and Bennie Hawkins were the bosses (both great leaders and accomplished in "pulling a cork". Then had 3.5 great years at SHAPE WITH Dick Greaves AND Bob Colombo. We had a neat lounge at Ft Monmouth where work came to a halt every day at noon to watch the "Gong Show". Walt Yarnall and Bill Chesney will remember those days. At Vicenza, John Henderson and I usually could find a touch of sour mash at day's end. My final assignment was at Ft Carson where we had a great lounge in the drug team bulding. Pete Dedijer, Tom Vos and others made a good crew. It's hard to rank one assignment over the other. For work, SHAPE was the most interesting. For quality of life, Vicenza was far and away the best. For compatriots, they were all great. SEE YA'LL IN TAMPA.
Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel E. White (Danwhite1176) on Friday, September 04, 2009 - 12:24 pm:  Edit

Yes Dick -- fond memories of the after hours time spent at the 4th MP Det (CI) Ft Myer, VA., circa 69-71. Folks from "The Agency" would cross the river and stop in -- folks from Walter Reed BO would come down -- folks from the airport flying in from TDY assignments would stop in and "debrief" before having to officially "brief" the next morning. Flipping a coin to see who takes the "Westmoreland Run" in the morning. Good folks -- all of them. Fond memories and I sure learned a lot!!
Best wishes to all.
Dan White

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sandi Hache (Unregistered Guest) on Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 01:16 am:  Edit

Favorite Assignment???? Too many to mention, Ft Bragg, Ft Hood, Ft Dix, Ft Lewis, and let us not forget the seven Hardship years in Hawaii.LOL Hard-working, hard-playing, wonderful agents and support people everywhere. None finer anywhere!
"DO WHAT HAS TO BE DONE"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard B. Greaves (Dick_greaves) on Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 06:02 pm:  Edit

Carl, you brought up an interesting topic.....the 4:30 beer. As Mike can attest to, Fort Myer had one of the best after-work gathering places in the world, and many outside agency personnel stopped in for a beer and it was a way of staying in touch. Most offices had something like that, and it wasn't just those overseas. I never, ever heard of an individual getting out of hand, anywhere. Golly, next thing you'll be telling me is that you can't have a cigar.......or a chew anymore. Warm regards to all, Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl A. Bandy (Carl_bandy) on Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 10:19 pm:  Edit

My greatest assignment was Ft Riley Kansas (1970-1971) with Martin (Bill) Yeager (RIP) as the boss, and guys like Billy Martin, John Mays, Rick Matherly, Tom South, Chester Van Pelt, and others (I can see their faces but not their names). It would be great to go back there and know what I know now. I would have paid a lot more attention to all of those fine Agents plus, that stupid WW2 building at the airfield wasn't all that bad, especially at 4:30 when it was politically correct to have a beer in the office after quiting time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Santee (Jonsantee) on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 08:01 pm:  Edit

my probationary assignment at Fort Hood from 91 to 95 - hands down. Hardest working, longest hours, but I learned from the best and everything from there was downhill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. LeBlanc (Leblanc3852) on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 04:14 pm:  Edit

My favorite assignment was working with Customs in Munich, Germany and my first ever CID assignment at Fort Benning, GA. I had great times with Rob Reid, Al Birdsong, Bill Capps, Mike VanAlstyne, Jim Bradford, Sinnie Borel. The others assignments were very memorable too, including my SAC job at Fort Bliss, TX and Korea, but I would have to say my time in Europe was a blast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Myron R. Pickering (Picknet) on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 03:29 pm:  Edit

I would have to say my best CID assignment is somewhat of a tie between the CID Agency/Command in 1970-1973 and Germany (1973-1973). While at the command, I moved around to a couple of different assignments (PSD/Case Review) but most memorable was being assigned to the Re-investigation Team based in Fayetteville, NC for the MacDonald murders with Peter Kearns, Bill Ivory, Jack Bennett, Dick Mahon, LTC Jack Pruitt and Maj David Reed. Aloha! Mike Pickering

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernest D. Hamm (Ernie) on Friday, August 21, 2009 - 10:20 am:  Edit

Best assignment: Munich FO (1967-1970). Outstanding location, great working relationships, a lot of fine agents, working for Lew Pettigrew and partnering with the likes of Ray Kangas, Marv Parker and Nick Nokutis. I have many, many fond memories of that assignment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael S. Edwards (Mse2552) on Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 08:58 pm:  Edit

My best assignment was a toss up between being the Assistant Operations Officer working for Charlie Whitehead at Fort Hood District and the SAC at Fulda RA, Germany working for Matt Dillon. Also very memorable was being the SAC at Ft McClellan, AL, SAC at Gelnhausen BO, Germany and the SAC at Fort Hood, Texas. I enjoyed all my assignments.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick E. Coffey (Pcoffey) on Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 09:36 am:  Edit

By far my best assignment as an Agent was as the Senior Instructor on Crime Scene Hill at Fort McClellan. I would have stayed there till I died if they would have let me and if the School had stayed there. My best assignment in an office was the Heilbronn Drug Suppression team, what a great team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R Vitale (Unregistered Guest) on Sunday, August 16, 2009 - 08:46 am:  Edit

My most memorable was before I came to CID and worked as a MPI member of the CID DST at Fort Benning, GA. My bosses were John Lanting, Bob Young and Robert (Mike) Jolly. I got a chance to work with Tommy Carr and John Runnberg. The top dogs in the office were Marvin Besson and John Burrows, both of whom I beleive will some day be on the Hall of Fame list. There were so many great agents there at the time that helped me out then and later as I became a real CID agent, Lowell Berg, Joe Stufulla, Chuck Slupski, Jim Mayo (Poly). I have some of my best memories of CID from those times and think often of the people there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank M. Woods (Unregistered Guest) on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 09:21 am:  Edit

My two best assignments were at Ft Knox, KY. I got close to people like "Bull" Kelly; Pete Gray; Pete Dedijer; John Smith (RIP); Columbus Ousley (RIP) Dennis Walker; etc, etc. We worked hard, and played hard. Trained a lot of probationary agents, but they were all good agents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Mattiaccio (Unregistered Guest) on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 05:33 pm:  Edit

Not to be flippant, but I had one retiring agent tell me that the two best assignments he ever had was the one he was going to and the one he just left

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tracey Nelson Penland (Tpenland11) on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 08:55 pm:  Edit

Have to agree with Bill and Norm. PSU was truely an outstanding experience. For a country cowboy who never left the state of NC growing up, I was able to travel to over 52 countries in four years and had a lot of fun doing it. A lot of great folks from Brian Grossman, Marshal McCants, Rick and Jeff riding the Pentagon desks, Keith Jarmen, Ron Keifer and Tom Roberson. I learned a lot about myself and discovered how to make things happen with nothing. Of course, I always loved both tours at Bragg as one of the Jumpmasters along with Tom Franklin.

Tracey Penland

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William F. Gunter (Tailgunter) on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 04:34 pm:  Edit

I have to join in with Norm, PSU as a great life experience, traveled to exotic places first class and had many happy wheels up parties. Others were Nuernberg District & Ansback RA. But the best career enhancing was at Fort Ord District working for CW4 Jack Bennett.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Delbert S. Buttman (Unregistered Guest) on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 09:57 pm:  Edit

My best assignments were my 2 tours at Ft Hood, TX. It was a lot of hard work but I was able to work with great guys on both occasions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl A. Bandy (Carl_bandy) on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 05:16 pm:  Edit

Hey Jim Boyd. I was JSA 68-69. I was the Platoon SGT with the crew on duty when the Pueblo Crew was returned back to US. It too was one of my best assignments and "Joe" was a ton of fun. My best CID assignment was Ft Huachuca, AZ 73-76. Great bunch of guys from LTC Moe as Cdr, Bob Roulier / Ken Bowles as Ops, Ricky Sanders, Billy Evans, Bob Newman, Bill Childers, Ron Slone, Dannie Taylor, Cliff Anderson, Bob Young and several others whose names now slip my mind. Of course, anyone that was there will remember Lois Rolak as the one that really ran the office.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norm Weisenfluh (Norm) on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 09:57 am:  Edit

Favorite Assignment... That has to be my assignment to Protective Services (PSA back then). Outstanding group of agents and great friends, Don Pettit (RIP), Bill Kozak, Jim Hicks, Sam Blackstone, Dennis Becker, Ken Leonard, Greg Lee, Deb Derosier, Pat Lanigan, Bob Leggett, Brian Grossman, Vicki Mason and on and on... Saw a lot, laughed a lot, worked a lot and spent a "few" evenings at Quincy's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Grossman (Rekib) on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 01:58 pm:  Edit

I've had several great assignments...from my two separate tours in Protective Services (1986-1989 and 1995-1997) , to my "airborne" Team Chief days at Fort Bragg (1992-1995) but I would have to say my all out best assignment was as a team chief and later SAC at Fort Hood from 1997 - 2000. We had a great office and great group of folks assigned...and my "adult leadership" that kept me straight was/is the best in the business...Don Wright and Don Hardison.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Branyon Boyd (Jim_boyd) on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 05:42 pm:  Edit

Two favorite assignments stand out, for me. One was in 1959, before I got into CID. I transferred from the Joint Security Area (JSA), Korea (where my guard post was the southern end of the Bridge of No Return) to the MP Company, Camp Zama, Japan. My duties there consisted of Desk Clerk, Highway Patrol and eventually Patrol Supervisor. The dollar was worth 360 Yen, in those days, and you could get a good meal in many off-post restaurants for a buck, or less.
My second best assignment was as SAC of The Netherlands RA, with newly appointed WO1 Larry INGOLD as the only other assigned SA. Mrs Sherri EVANS was the Interpreter/Secretary, and she did a wonderful job of keeping Larry and I "between the ditches". Sherri went on to become a full-fledged badge and gun-toting Investigator. Larry was eventually promoted to CW5 (if my memory serves me correctly) and retired as the Operations Officer of Ft Bragg District. Larry, Sherri and I were responsible for all CID activities in The Netherlands, all of Belgium, and about 19 "counties" in Germany. Our office was subordinate to Kaiserslautern District, where Major Frank RIBICH was the Cdr, CPT Mike RAUER was the Executive Officer and John ROBBINS was the Operations Officer. We could not have asked for a better group of people at our next higher HQ. The Netherlands RA had NATO HQ, SHAPE HQ, AFCENT HQ, SHAPE Support Group, NATO Support Group and AFCENT Support Group within our AOR. I think there were 19 US General Officers, among all those headquarters units. We were kept VERY busy, believe me, but I'd do it all again, in a New York minute!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Bosse (Mike_bosse) on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 02:38 pm:  Edit

Close tie between Ft McClellan where I had the honor of being an Instructor at Crime Scene Hill, and the Fort Shafter Branch Office. Family loved them both, but I've got to give the nod to Hawaii. The office was well staffed with lots of senior Agents, we were a lot busier than I envisioned when I got the assignment, and I learned a great deal from the guys and gals there which served me well during my career. The Opns was Rickey Sanders, my immediate Boss was Wayne Franklin - both excellent Boss's and even better life time friends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DEDIJER (Unregistered Guest) on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 09:41 am:  Edit

Definitely the 25th MP Det (CI), APO 09221, Vicenza, Italy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W. Minton (Ken_minton) on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 08:55 am:  Edit

I enjoyed all my assignments. Probably though my favorite was my first assignment at Fort Hood District. It was a great office, with so many fine agents and support staff. LTC Parks was the commander, CW4 George Cain the operations officer, Vic Deavers the CIS, and Gary Felgenhauer, the property crime chief, my boss.
We had great poker games too, with so many people such as Dave Glenn, Jack Leavitt, Jim Treftz, Bob Parrotte, Don Flint, and a dozen others participating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Santee (Jonsantee) on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 11:18 pm:  Edit

its a tie between my first WO assignment at Fort Knox - and my SAC tour at Fort Sam Houston

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul J Esposito (Pjespo) on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 09:19 am:  Edit

I too was assigned to Hawaii Field Office from 72-75. Did a prior tour with HASP from 66-69. Family loved Hawaii. I wanted to retire in Hawaii but the wife wanted to come back to the mainland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne H. Franklin (Wfrank56) on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 07:51 am:  Edit

Hey guys/gals - how about a cheerful thread for a change!

My favorite assignment was as the SAC at the Fort Shafter Br Ofc in Honolulu. Started out as an EC assignment but we later turned the BO into a full service office. Family loved Hawaii and we spent many weekends at the beach and me on the golf course. Had some strange TDYs to the Philippines, Kwajalien Island and Johnston Island. Loved wearing the aloha shirt to work every day. What was your favorite assignment?

Wayne Franklin

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: